Image courtesy of Tumblr.
2013 is coming to a close, and it’s been an incredible year music-wise. There have been some fantastic releases that, while very difficult to pick, stand above the rest. As you prepare to say goodbye to this year, and start a new chapter in 2014, here are Planet Stereo’s Top 13 albums and singles that have come out.
Albums: (in no particular order)
1) The Maine – Forever Halloween: As someone who loves The Maine, I am slightly biased; I think all of their albums are brilliantly put together, but Forever Halloween really showcases the band taking a brand new, somewhat darker direction, and it is extremely well-done.
2) Fall Out Boy – Save Rock and Roll: The band’s first album following their seemingly-eternal hiatus. With guest appearances that leave most artists green with envy, catchy tracks that make you want to play the album over and over, accompanied by a progressive story in each music video, it seems that Fall Out Boy cannot be beat.
3) All Time Low – Don’t Panic: It’s Longer!: Obviously, this is just an extended version of the band’s 2012 album, Don’t Panic!, but I couldn’t resist. The new songs on this bonus edition make it feel like a brand new album, and it’s fun learning new lyrics. All Time Low have progressed as a group, and this album makes that evident.
4) The Wonder Years – The Greatest Generation: The surprisingly raw new album from an band I cannot say enough about. It’s extremely blunt, not shying away from depicting the true ugly in life.
5) Sara Bareilles – The Blessed Unrest: With her signature melodic flourish, Sara is a powerhouse both vocally and as a pianist. It’s a bit more adventurous than its predecessor, but allows listeners to see another side of the songwriter. No wonder it’s been nominated for Album of The Year!
6) Paramore – Paramore: A fresh start for the band with their self-titled release. There’s a distinct new attitude meddled in with the signature flare that has made Paramore so famous.
7) Frank Turner – Tape Deck Heart: Another amazing addition to a wonderful artist’s discography. If you want to hear an album with spirit, that truly captures the thinking in every human, this is it.
8) Lady Antebellum – Golden: I’ll let you in on a not-so-secret-secret: I love country music, and am a huge Lady A fan. Golden is one of my favorite releases of 2013, because every song has an undeniable soul to it. So well-made!
9) Sleeping With Sirens – Feel: Showing off their songwriting chops, Sleeping With Sirens wowed everyone with this incredible album, with some spectacular guest appearances.
10) Hands Like Houses – Unimagine: Not only do they make incredible shirts, but they also make pretty spectacular albums. Unimagine is a finely crafted collection of music, setting itself apart from the other releases of 2013.
11) Panic! At The Disco – Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! This album may have launched Panic! At The Disco into the Top 40’s, but never fear! The signature style is still very much alive, with frontman Brendan Urie’s vocals shining through beautifully as always.
12) Cassadee Pope – Frame By Frame: Following her win on NBC’s The Voice, Cassadee Pope (previously of Hey Monday) released her debut solo album. The country-pop songstress left many in awe with Frame By Frame, a fantastic album filled with one catchy track after another.
13) Papermoons – No Love: I reviewed this album for Infectious Magazine and I have to say, it may be one of the best albums I have reviewed in a long time. It’s beautifully written, brilliantly executed, and a perfect addition to anyone’s iTunes.
Honorable Mentions: Michael Buble`’s To Be Loved, Blessthefall’s Hollow Bodies, The 1975’s The 1975, Mayday Parade’s Monsters In The Closet, Cartel’s Collider, Silverstein’s This Is How The Wind Shifts, David Bowie’s The Next Day, and James Blake’s Overgrown.
Singles: (in no particular order)
1) All Time Low – “Love Like War (ft. Vic Fuentes of Pierce The Veil)”:
2) Fall Out Boy – “Save Rock and Roll”:
3) Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – “White Walls” :
4) The Maine – “Raining In Paris”:
5) Panic! At The Disco – “This Is Gospel”:
6) Sleeping With Sirens – “Congratulations”:
7) Justin Timberlake – “Mirrors”:
8) Sara Bareilles – “Brave”:
9) Cassadee Pope – “Wasting All These Tears”:
10) Imagine Dragons – “Demons”:
11) Hunter Hayes – “Everybody’s Got Somebody But Me”:
12) Michael Buble` – “It’s a Beautiful Day”:
13) Maroon 5 – “Love Somebody”:
So many amazing singles and wonderful videos, it was a difficult list to compile this year!
Happy New Year everyone! 🙂